Up until I turned 34, I had only traveled within my country, the U.S.A., taking quintessential American road trips. Though I traveled to the Bahamas at 34, to England when I was 44, and France when I was 48 & 50, I didn’t start traveling in earnest until 2007, when I was over 50. Sometimes I’ve traveled for work or study-abroad programs, while other times I’ve traveled, and still do, for pleasure.
I’ve often traveled solo. I love my solo travels because they allow me a deeper experience of a culture than when I am with someone else. They allow me to linger, and they’ve helped me to become a more tolerant, confident and adventurous person.
I’ve lived in or traveled to 32 countries (& 1 U.S. territory) as of July, 2019:
1) USA – I’ve spent most of my life in Virginia (Newport News, Yorktown, Gloucester, Matthews County, Richmond, Northern Virginia) plus have traveled extensively throughout the country. I also lived in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho from January 1980 – April 1984.
2) Canada – Ottowa (1980), Banff (1980, 1982), Quebec. (Before the digital age!)
3) Great Britain – London, Bath, Cotswolds, Lake District (1999) – sadly, no digital pictures.
4) Bahamas – numerous times to Paradise Island – we had a time share there (1989, 2002).
5) France – Nice, Vence, L’Isle sur la Sorgue, Rousillon, Provence (St Remy de Provence, Vaison la Romaine, Le Pond du Gard, Avignon, Abbeye de Fontfroide), Cathar Country (Commune de Montsegur, Pyrenees, Mirepoix, Cathedrale Sainte-Cecile d’Albi, Bruniquel, Cordes sur Ciel), Paris (2003) & Paris (again), Alsace-Lorraine, Normandy (2006).
6) Germany – Black Forest, Heidelberg, Trier (2006) (before digital).
7) Mexico – for a study abroad – Mexico City, Cuernavaca, Teotihuacán, Taxco (2007) – I didn’t bother much with photography at that time, as you can tell from this pathetic picture. 🙂
8) Egypt – to study Arabic – Cairo, Alexandria (July 2007) – poor or nonexistent photography.
- call to place: egypt in 2007
- anticipation & preparation: egypt in 2007
- on returning home from egypt in 2007
9) Singapore – for a study abroad (January 2008).
10) Thailand – for a study abroad: Bangkok and Phuket (January 2008).
11) South Korea – lived and worked there one year (March 2010 – February 2011).
12) Turkey – Istanbul, Cappadocia, Pamukkale, Ephesus (August 2010).
13) China – visited Beijing (September 2010) & lived and worked in Nanning, Guangxi Province for nearly a year (September 2014- July 2015).
14) Vietnam – Hanoi and Halong Bay (January 2011).
- call to place: vietnam in 2011
- anticipation & preparation: vietnam in 2011
- on returning home from vietnam in 2011
15) Cambodia – Phnom Penh and Siem Reap (January 2011).
- call to place: cambodia in 2011
- anticipation & preparation: cambodia in 2011
- on returning home from cambodia in 2011
16) Japan – visited Kyoto (February 2011) & lived and worked in Kanagawa Prefecture for 4 months (April – August 2017).
17) India: New Delhi, Varanasi, Rishikesh, Corbett Tiger Reserve, Agra, Jodhpur, Jaipur, Jasailmer, Auragabad, Mumbai (March 2011).
- call to place: india in 2011
- anticipation & preparation: india in 2011
- on returning home from india in 2011
18) Oman – lived and worked in Nizwa for 2 years (September 2011- June 2013).
- call to place: the sultanate of oman
- anticipation & preparation: the sultanate of oman
- on returning home from oman
19) Jordan – Amman, Petra, Jerash, the Dead Sea (November 2011).
- call to place: jordan in 2011
- anticipation & preparation: jordan in 2011
- on returning home from jordan in 2011
20) United Arab Emirates – Dubai (August 2010) & Abu Dhabi (November 2012).
21) Greece – Athens, Crete, Santorini, Meteora (September 2012).
22) Ethiopia – Addis Ababa, Lalibela, Lake Langano (October 2012).
23) Nepal – Kathmandu, Pokhara (January 2013).
24) Spain – Barcelona, Toledo & Andalucía: Seville, Ronda, Cordoba, Granada, Malaga (June-July 2013). Walked the Frances route of the Camino de Santiago (September-October 2018).
- anticipation & preparation: spain & portugal in 2013
- the call to place: the camino de santiago
- anticipation & preparation: the camino de santiago
- on returning home from the camino de santiago: final thoughts
25) Portugal – The Algarve (Tavira), Evora, Lisbon, Sintra, Cascais (July 2013). Braga, Amarante, Porto, Aveiro, Costa Nova, Óbidos, Sintra and Lisbon (October-November 2018).
- the call to place: portugal
- anticipation & preparation: portugal
- on returning home from portugal in 2018
26) Myanmar – Mandalay, Bagan, Inle Lake, Yangon (February 2015).
27) Iceland – Reykjavik and the Ring Road (August 2016).
28) Hungary – Budapest, Esztergom, Visegrad, Sopron (September 2017).
29) Austria – Vienna and Wachau Valley (September 2017).
30) Czech Republic – Český Krumlov & Prague (October 2017).
31) Morocco – G-Adventures tour through Casablanca, Tangier, Chefchaouen, Voubilis, Fès, Merzouga, Todra Gorge, Ait Benhaddou, High Atlas Mountains, Essaouira, and Marrakech. (April 2019)
32) Italy – Rome, Cinque Terre, Pisa, Lucca, Florence, San Gimignano, Siena, all around Tuscany, Perugia, Assisi, Spello, Spoleto, and Orvieto (April-May 2019).
AND Puerto Rico, a U.S. Territory (August 2014).
I hope to keep exploring the world until I keel over, so I will add to this page as I visit new lands. 🙂